Friday 21 September 2012

THE ‘ONE SHOW’ ON VIASAT ONE

THE ‘ONE SHOW’ ON VIASAT ONE
Alright, now I have to say this. I felt so glad when I read on Ghanaweb and later saw the ads on Viasat One, the coming on stream of the only Ghanaian content at the time on Viasat one. This show called the One Show in the ads had very colourful background and well-arranged set for the programme. I may not be using the right terminologies to do the description but if you are as lay as I am in this regard, I know you would understand. If you are a professional, bear with me.
Prior to Viasat One, I had seen Joselyn Dumas (is it a French name, I mean Dumas, because i do not hear her mention the S when pronouncing the name) as a co-host on ‘Rhythmz’ on GTV. The job there was  done fairly well so taking up a more glamorous job such as the one promised by the One Show increased my expectations in the first place, and secondly made me feel she was being presented a bigger platform to bring out the best in her as a host on Television.
Those of you who might not be aware of the programme in question, it is the kind that has the same content and arrangement such as that of Oprah Winfrey of ‘The Oprah Show’ and also like the Tyra Banks Show. If you have seen any of these shows being broadcasted then I guess am set to commence with my pronouncements on how far the ONE SHOW programme on Viasat One has come since its inception nearly a year ago. It is broadcasted live Monday to Thursday from 6.30pm to 7.30pm.
Now here I go, my first few encounters with the programme was that which left me hoping for the best for Joselyn Dumas realising that she was determined to give of her best and as was seen from day to day the progress that was being made along the way. There were hitches here and there; I know that is to be expected of such a programme considering the work that has to be done both backstage and onstage.
So the year 2010 came to an end and just some few weeks into the New Year, some new ads begun to run once more about the One Show and the new look that it hopes to take, the fact that Joselyn was not going to be running the show alone. In fact if you happened to be someone like me who had followed the programme quite well and had wanted to see the kind of improvement that was lacking in the previous episode, you will be so glad thinking that all that you saw to be wrong with the programme had actually been seen by others as well, more especially by the producer and those in charge. Hence all these introductions thinking that the wrongs were going to be righted by these additions or changes.
The opposite happened. I wish you guys could see the pain with which I say this but I must let you know that I struggle to watch excerpts of the show. Oh yes the delivery is that terrible. Some of you might start thinking who is this guy? Does he have any training in Directing, Filmmaking or any of such related fields? If you are asking these questions in your mind right now, my answer to you is a big NO but I have one thing that over the years I think helps me to tell a bad production(TV) from a good one. It could be a movie, video, the point is, I know it when I see it.
If you think what am saying is unfounded and may be an unprofessional look at the work being done by the One Show team, then refute these assertions of mine as well.
v  The introduction of PY as a co-host has stalled the improvement that any critical viewer of the programme would have wanted to see in the delivery of Joselyn Dumas in this second episode of her work on the show.
v  In fact PY does not have a smiley face and when he tries to smile, it is kinda some real difficult work. I mean he struggles to smile.
v  PY has been terrible so far (I want to believe no one has dared to think otherwise)
So am wondering what could be done to salvage this show from sinking, for me Joselyn should be given enough room alone on the show so that she could have enough grip of the show. Lest I forget I did not mention the fact that her art of questioning is a bit awful, maybe I placed that directly under her ‘delivery’ on the show.
Those of you who are still thinking otherwise and will actually go on to castigate me, I can only say you should go ahead. But it will be interesting to know what your argument really is.
I hope I have not been too hard on you Joselyn and PY, you have the best set design on TV right now and am hoping to see you couple that up with a relaxing, real to your selves (if what you are doing right now is being your real self on the show, then i’m sorry) and just allow the programme to be a free flowing something. Otherwise I will grudgingly continue to watch your programme with one eye closed (you understand that right?), not for too long though.
Troubleshuta.

No comments:

Post a Comment